Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dinesh Kamath on his mother Tara Kamath


I've told you quite a lot about my father. I hardly told you anything about my mother. My mom is the daughter of a Head Master of a school in Ankola ( near Karwar). Her father was an expert in English. My mom's mother was a strong-headed and intelligent but strict lady. My mom did her school education in Ankola itself after which she migrated to Mumbai where she got a job in Customs. It was in New Custom House that she and my dad met and they fell in love with one another. They got married and gave birth to two kids (One of them is me, of course). When I was very small, my mom would tell me stories which were mostly mythological in nature. She had a very fat Marathi book called 'Katha Kalpataru' which contained the entire stories of Lord Vishnu. She would read the book and then translate into Konkani for me to understand. I would enjoy listening to those stories. It was my mom who would take me for movies since she simply loved to watch films. I've inherited my love for films from my mom. My dad just avoided watching movies. Ever since I was born till the time he expired he hardly saw any movie. I've inherited my dad's legal mind and my mom's story-mind. Both prove very useful today when I am pursuing the career of a journalist. My mom's name, for your information, is Tara Keshav Kamath. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment