Friday, July 23, 2010

Dinesh Kamath talks about his late brother Purnanand Kamath


Today I'll write a few words about my late brother Purnanand Kamath who expired on February 26, 2009. Purnanand was my only brother. He was a quiet chap but a genius of a sort. He was superb in mathematics. That's the reason why he got employment in Central Bank of India when he grew up. I remember those days (in 1960s) when the two of us would play many games together at Vasco in Goa. We would together play games like cricket and marbles. He was a right-handed batsman and a left-handed bowler. I was a much better cricketer than him. He was not very interested in cricket but he would agree to play with me just to give me company. Since I was a better cricketer I would do a lot of batting while he would mostly bowl. He has bowled countless balls to me during those days and owing to this I, when I grew up, went on to become a hard hitting batsman. He gave me so much of batting practice that few years later I could bat in a way that made me fit to play even test cricket for India. That I could not make it to test cricket is a different matter. That is another story. Purnanand was very good in general knowledge. He simply loved going through books on general knowledge. Had he participated in any Quiz Contest, I'm sure he would beat all his opponents in a big way. Another thing he loved was watching TV prorams and listening to Radio. He had a terrific memory when it came to road routes. Whenever he was with my family during any long journey by road, we would have no problem at all since he could guide the vehicle driver absolutely perfectly. Today he is survived by his wife and daughter Pragnya Purnanand Kamath. May his soul rest in absolute peace! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment