Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dinesh Kamath is trying to be a playwright and film script writer


Nowadays I'm trying to write plays for Prithvi Theater. I got some ideas which I'm trying to convert into plays. I feel Prithvi Theater is the best place to stage these plays. In fact, I'm trying to write these plays to suit Prithvi Theater in particular. The interior of Prithvi Theater, for your information, is not like the interiors of all the other theaters where plays are staged. Prithvi Theater has an altogether different interior. It can accommodate only 200 audiences and it is more like an open theater. There is no system of raising up and bringing down the curtain here. The plays are shown practically everyday at Prithvi Theater. These plays are shown during evening times. There are some film personalities too who are involved in theater and sometimes if you are lucky you can get to see them perform in this small theater.
This Prithvi Theater belongs to Kapoor family. It is Shashi Kapoor's daughter, Sanjana Kapoor, who is managing the theater. In fact, the residence of Shashi Kapoor and his family is just next to the Prithvi Theater.
I had the privilege of having a glimpse of Shashi Kapoor when I had gone to Prithvi Theater just recently. But I was shocked to see him sitting on a wheel chair. It appeared as if he was not well. I personally was an ardent fan of Shashi Kapoor and I've seen many of his films in which he gave brilliant performances.
So, as I told you, Prithvi Theater is being managed by Sanjana Kapoor and she is doing an excellent job. As I told you earlier, I'm trying to write plays which can be staged in Prithvi Theater. After I finish writing these plays I will approach some play producers who are very active in Prithvi Theater. These are producers whose plays are constantly being shown in Prithvi Theater. So I am thinking of approaching them with my works as soon as I finish writing my plays.
I'm also interested in film script writing. I already got one film script ready. This film script is based on the story of a custom officer. I'm thinking of approaching some film producer with this script. But I'll have to approach the right producer since each producer specializes in making a particular genre of film. My film script based on Custom Officer is more of an action drama and hence I'll have to approach a film maker who specializes in making action films.
As you know, I am already a journalist and hence I want to pursue the career of a journalist and film-script writer or play writer side by side. I have no intention of giving up my career as a journalist at present since I'm very well settled as a journalist. I've come very close to completing seven years in the field of journalism. I know it's going to be very tough to pursue the careers of journalist and film script or play writer at the same time. But I'm going to try. One can never know whether one is fit for something unless one tries. Hence I'm going to try and if I succeed as a playwright and film script writer in a way I succeeded as a journalist then I'll feel happy about the fact that another ambition of mine got fulfilled.
I had told you earlier that I once nurtured an ambition of becoming an actor. I know that if I try to make it as an actor today I can manage to become a popular character actor. But I'm already a successful journalist and hence I feel that there is no point in accepting the role of a character actor since a successful journalist, I feel, is more superior than a popular character actor. So today I'm not so very keen on becoming an actor unless, of course, some producer approaches me with an offer where I'll need to play an extremely special role or character. In that case, I might seriously consider about accepting that role. Otherwise, I'm happy with the way I'm going on as a journalist. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment