Friday, December 7, 2012

When Dinesh Kamath had met the great Shobha De

I was below 20 that time when I paid a visit to Stardust office where I met Shobha De whose surname at that time was not De. I met Shobha and expressed my wish to become a journalist. She gave me a test. She asked me to write a film gossip column. It took me about half an hour to write a gossip column. Shobha read my column and she appeared to be quite impressed. 
Shobha said to me, "Dinesh, you're a good gossip columnist. I'm impressed! You write more or less like Busybee (Behram Contractor). But, darling, I want someone who can write just like Devyani Chaubal. I think you are fit for newspaper more than magazine. I think any boy in your place would have gone into newspaper world and made name for himself. I sincerely feel that you should seriously try to get into some newspaper because you are indeed a very talented writer. You are not even 20 and yet you are able to write like a seasoned journalist. Fantastic! You are too good a writer for your age.  I suggest you join some newspaper. All the best, dear!"
Imagine these words coming from a great person like Shobha De. Today she must not even be remembering  that she had met me since I had met her very long time back. But I've not yet forgotten what she told me. Those are the exact words she uttered. Thanks, Shobha!    

No comments:

Post a Comment