Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dinesh Kamath's views about his birth place - Bandra


Today I'll tell you something about my birth place which is Bandra. Bandra has been rightly called as Queen of Suburbs since a long time. I was born and raised in Bandra (West) which is undoubtedly much more developed than Bandra (East). The special aspect of Bandra at the time I was born was that it was full of English convent schools and there were hardly any vernacular schools. Owing to this fact all the parents, whether anglicized or vernacular, were forced to admit their children in convent schools. That made my generation who grew in Bandra West almost entirely anglicized. At the place I was residing, I and people of my generation were all the time communicating in English. That's the reason I couldn't speak any language other than English fluently till I grew up to be twenty three and till I was compelled to take up a job at Indian Customs. It is in Customs that I got the opportunity to learn Hindi and Marathi. My mother tongue is Konkani but I feel ashamed to say that I can't speak this language as fluently as I can speak English. If I'm become a prolific English writer today I owe it to the place I was born and raised in and that place is Bandra (West). At present I reside in Andheri (East) but I still remember Bandra (West) which I badly miss. That place had its own charm and beauty. There are, in fact, very few places like Bandra (West) in India. To be brought up in Bandra (West) is like growing up in America or Great Britain. That advanced was Bandra (West) during my time. Today it surely is much more advanced. I thank God for letting me get born in such a beautiful place like Bandra (West). I pray to him to let me get born in Bandra (West) every life. That's all for today. I'll pass on to you more and more information as and when I get inspiration. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. I too had been to Bandra (West). I too found it to be a great place. Dinesh Kamath's views about Bandra (West) matches with mine too.

    ReplyDelete