Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dinesh Kamath's views about Navi Mumbai city


I had come to Vashi somewhere in the early eighties and I had found it to be a very isolated and undeveloped place. I had even come to Panvel for picnic with my classmates of Bombay College of Journalism. That was also in the early eighties. Panvel, at that time, was also an isolated, mountainous and grassy place devoid of any buildings. It was, in other words, totally undeveloped place. But it was a good site for picnicking purpose. In the year 2004 I was trying for a job in the newspaper. I couldn't make it in any newspaper in Mumbai. So I went through the Tata's Yellow Pages to find out whether there was any newspaper where I had not tried for a job. At that time I became aware of the existence of newspapers like In New Bombay, Twin City and Vashi Times in Vashi. Now I was not even aware of the fact that there was such a city called New Bombay. I thought that Vashi was the same undeveloped place which I had visited in the early eighties. But yet I decided to try to get a job in one of these Vashi newspapers. When I came to Vashi I was stunned to see the extent to which the place was developed. I got the job in the weekly newspaper 'In New Bombay' with ease. (For your information, The weekly 'In New Bombay' is today become the daily 'Newsband') After beginning to work in this newspaper I became aware of how developed Navi Mumbai was. I became aware of the opportunities that this city provided to people with talents. Gradually I fell in love with the city. This city has a great future. I won't be surprised if New Bombay becomes more developed than Mumbai in the near future simply because it is progressing with that much rapid pace. I think the main reason why this city developed so rapidly is the rapid springing up of many English schools and colleges here. Right from Vashi to Panvel, you find many English educational institutions which educate, discipline and instill right culture and morals in their students. You find the city full of cultured youngsters moving around. It is indeed a pleasant sight. I seriously think that Mumbai should take a cue from Navi Mumbai and follow the same method of development which this satellite city has adopted. If this is not done, Mumbai will find itself lagging behind Navi Mumbai one day. That's all for today. Before I bid you good bye I would like to tell you my e-mail id if you want to contact me. My e-mail id is dknewsband@rediffmail.com Bye!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Navi Mumbai made Dinesh the person he is today. No wonder he loves the city so much. As a writer, Dinesh has a great future.

    ReplyDelete