Monday, September 27, 2010

Dinesh Kamath says success is how much you contribute to the society and not how much society gives you in return

What is success? This question reminds me of a man who resided in a backward country. I don't want to name the country since I don't want to insult it. This man was a writer. He had written a great amount and all his works were also published under his name. In fact he had written more than any of his countrymen had ever written. But he was poor since he was very meagerly paid for his works. He however had a big number of readers who appreciated his works. This writer had no car, no proper house to live in, no luxuries of life. He lived like an ordinary man. But yet he would go around saying that he was the most successful man. One critic of his casually asked him, "You have practically nothing. You have no money, no bungalow, no car, no any kind of luxury. Then how is that you call yourself a successful man?" The writer replied, " I have the proof of all that I have contributed to my society. I call myself successful on that basis." The writer took the critic to his humble home and showed him a huge heap of his written works which were all published under his name. The writer then told the critic, "These are the contributions made by me to the society. I agree with you that society hardly paid me anything in return. But success of a man is judged by how much he or she contributes to the society and not how much the society pays him or her back." The writer further said, " If I had to be in one of the advanced countries of the West and if I had to contribute the same amounts of works over there I would have become a billionaire. My name would also have been recommended for a Nobel prize. So now you understand, my dear friend, why I call myself successful. I believe that success of a person is judged by how much he contributes to the society and not how much society pays him in return." The critic was not convinced. He asked, "But what about the quality of the work? I agree that you have produced a huge quantities of works. But are they of good quality?" The writer replied, "That is for the reading public to decide." He then showed a heap of letters of appreciation that he received from the members of reading public. His readers had showered on him lots of praises and had greatly appreciated the high quality of his works. The critic had nothing to say now. He had to admit that the writer had every right to call himself successful. He also realized that success is indeed decided by how much you contribute to the society and not by how much the society pays you in return for your services. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment