Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dinesh Kamath talks about his experiences while working for security agency


After resigning from Indian Customs I tried to be a freelance journalist and I also tried to get a job in any newspaper but in vain. At last I managed to get a job in National Industrial Security Agency (NISA) for whom I worked for around one and a half years. NISA appointed me as security supervisor although I was fit to be area manager. The NISA authorities told me that the moment there would be a vacancy for area manager's post, I would be made area manager. They told me to work as security supervisor or security officer till then. These security agencies normally give preferences to ex-servicemen (people who have retired from Army, Navy or Air Force services). They also prefer ex-policemen. Now I was an ex-custom officer and customs service is to a great extent equivalent to police service. The security agencies have great respect for those who have served Indian Customs too. Hence I got a job in NISA. As I told you I served NISA for one and a half years and during this period I was posted a seven places. The first place I was posted at was Reliance Company at Cottongreen. That was the most challenging posting. Reliance Company, which belongs to Ambanis, was a very big complex and I had many security guards working under me there. My duty was to position the guards at the entrances and exits of the company and then supervise them. It was twelve hours duty and we didn't have off even on Sundays. The advantage of working for security agency was it made me very tough and it made me prepared to face any challenges in life in the years to come. Another thing was I came across many ex-military people who would narrate their experiences while they were in the army, navy or air force. I came across people who occupied high positions as well as low positions in the military in the past. The common aspect about them was they were all disciplined, punctual and dedicated towards their duties. Before I was posted at an industrial estate I was given both theoretical and practical training. Theoretical training was imparted to me by a man who was an ex-colonel of the Indian Army while the practical trainer was an ex-Captain in the Indian Army. Both were impressed by my performance and they told me that I had a great future in this security business. After working for more than a year in Security I came to know practically everything about security business. In fact, there was a time when I was thinking of starting my own security agency. I was also about to get the post of recruiting manager in one of the security agency and they had promised to give me a good salary even. But newspaper was my first and primary interest. While working for security agency I was side by side trying to get into any newspaper too. Just when I got the offer for manager's post in a security agency, I also got the job of sub-editor in the weekly newspaper of Navi Mumbai 'In New Bombay' (which is today Newsband daily). I preferred the newspaper job to security job although it was less paying. I knew that although I was initially paid less in newspaper office, I had a great future over there. Newspaper job had any day more charm and glamour than security job. Today I've completed more than six years in the field of journalism and I'm happily placed. I've still a long way to go and my ambition is to reach still greater heights in the field of journalism. But one thing is sure and that is I'll never forget my days in security business. It is this business that made me extremely tough and capable of doing even the most challenging job that existed under the Sun. Doing the security job was like serving the Indian military and this job did a lot of good to me. It really boosted my spirit and confidence to a great extent. The success that I've acquired today in the newspaper world is owing to the enormous strength that I acquired while doing the security job for just one and a half years. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment