Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dinesh Kamath's sample of his play 'Genuine Love'


A small sample of the play I wrote:

Genuine Love

By Dinesh Kamath

(Amit’s home; Amit and Bina are together)

Amit: Bina, how much do you love me?

Bina: A lot, Amit.

Amit: I too love you that much.

Bina: We have been knowing and loving each other for five years.

Amit: Yes, Remember the first time when I met you?

Bina: Yes, very clearly. You saw me with Celina in college canteen and then we kept on staring at each other. In fact, it was mutual attraction at first sight. Celina introduced me to you and then our love affair began. Do you know that Celina actually had a crush for you? She always tells me that I stole you from her. Do you agree?

Amit: Celina was only my friend. But you wont believe that she loved me so much that one day she asked me to get married to her.

Bina: Is that true? Then didn’t you agree to marry her?

Amit: No! Because I loved you more than her.

Bina: Suppose you had not met me. Would you marry her?

Amit: Yes, Definitely. But I don’t find any other girl more attractive than you.

Bina: You are joking.

Amit: No, I’m serious!

Bina: Celina is a daughter of a rich businessman. Celina is a rich girl. So am I. I am a daughter of a prominent and rich Industrialist. Do you know there was one handsome boy called Raj who was madly in love with me. But I rejected him because he was a poor fellow. His dad was an ordinary clerk in a private office.

Amit: Bina, do you love me because I am rich?

Bina: I love you because you are handsome, nice and also rich. You are the son of a prominent barrister of this city. That’s what I like about you.

Amit: How about getting married?

Bina: (Excited) I was going to ask you just that.

Amit: I think we should both seek permissions from our respective parents before deciding to marry.

Bina: (Confidently) That’s no problem! My parents will surely agree to let me marry you. What about your parents, Amit?

Amit: My parents too won't have any objection.

Bina: Oh, Amit. I’ll go and talk to my parents about the marriage just now.

(The two kiss each other. Bina leaves)

(Celina makes an entry)

Amit: Hi, Celina!

Celina: Hi, Amit!

Amit: So Celina, what made you come here?

Celina: Do you mean to say that I shouldn’t have come here?

Amit: Celina, I didn’t mean that. You are always welcome here.

Celina: Amit, I should never have introduced you to Bina. It’s because of her that I lost you. I know that if you had not met Bina, I would become your life-partner.

Amit: That’s your bad luck, Celina. But I’m greatly thankful and grateful to you for having introduced me to such a beautiful and modern girl like Bina.

Celina: You mean that I am not beautiful and modern?

Amit: You too look good, Celina. You are modern too. But I prefer Bina to you.

Celina: Amit, I’m the daughter of a top businessman of this city Malhotra. I’m as rich as Bina. Then why did you prefer Bina to me?

Amit: Celina, that’s a very difficult question to answer. It is just that my heart says that I love Bina more than you and I obey my heart.

Celina: Amit, Bina had rejected one boy called Raj only because he had no money. You better believe me. Bina has fallen for your riches and not you.

Amit: Come on, Celina. There is a limit to being jealous. This is your jealousy speaking.

Celina: No Amit, I know Bina since a very long time. You have blindly fallen in love with her. I hope that one day you will recognize her and on that day, you will wish that you had made me and not her your life-partner. You mark my words!

Amit: Celina, that day will never come because I know that Bina is not that type of girl. She loves me and not my money.

Celina: Let’s see! Bye!

Amit: Bye!

(Celina leaves)

(Enter Sudhir Verma and Meena Verma, parents of Amit)

Sudhir: Hello, my son! I have a good news for you.

(If you want to read the entire play, approach Dinesh Kamath)

No comments:

Post a Comment