Monday, October 4, 2010

Dinesh Kamath talks about BABA NAGAR the place where he was born and grew up


I was born in one of the most interesting places of Bandra (West) and that place was Baba Nagar. Baba Nagar is located on St. Peter's Road, the road which connects Hill Road to the junction of three roads viz. Bazaar Road, Chapel Road and the road that goes to Mount Mary. I appeared in the womb of my mother when we were residing in Baba Nagar. I got born in Patkar Hospital which is somewhere near the famous Band Stand of Bandra (West). I spent a big part of my childhood and teens and youth in Baba Nagar. A small part of my childhood I spent at Vasco Da Gama in Goa. This place too was somewhat similar to Bandra (West).
Now Baba Nagar was a popular place in Bandra (West). Some even called it a notorious place. I'll tell you why. Baba Nagar was known for having variety of youngsters residing there. There were scholars, sportsmen and even few gangsters. A few youngsters of Baba Nagar who indulged in drug addiction and boozing did spoil the name of that place. But I personally belonged to the group of scholars as well as sportsmen. Now I was one of the very few youngsters who was not only a scholar but also a sportsman. Almost all the scholars of Baba Nagar were not sportsmen. And almost all the sportsmen of Baba Nagar were not scholars. I was one of those very few youth who was scholar-cum-sportsman. I excelled in academic studies as well as in sports.
Baba Nagar consisted of five blocks or buildings - A. B, C, D, E blocks. Each was a two-storeyed building. I lived in B Block. Another thing that I forgot to mention about Baba Nagar is it had a big number of Catholics as well as a big number of Hindus residing inside it. I remember that there was only one Muslim family residing in the entire Baba Nagar.
Baba Nagar boasted of having sent some of its youngsters to Indian Institute of Technology (IIT). This colony had architects, doctors, scientists, technologists and other professionals too. This colony boasted of having contributed to schools, colleges, State and even Nation brilliant sportsmen - especially Hockey players. Baba Nagar Hockey Team was Hockey Champ. The only hockey team in entire Bandra that could give tough fight to Baba Nagar team was Bazaar Road team which also boasted of having hockey stalwarts. There would be Hockey Tournaments taking place every year at St Stanislaus ground which was just opposite Baba Nagar colony. The two teams that would most of the time clash in Finals were Baba Nagar team and Bazaar Road team.
This colony had a big playground which was entirely made of concrete. I've played games like cricket, hockey, football and badminton at this place. I've also played indoor games like chess, table tennis and carrom. I used to excel in any sport that I would undertake to play. Those were the days when we youngsters would play games together, study together, love each other and even fight with one another. Another special aspect of Baba Nagar was when any outsider or outsiders proved to be the threat to someone in Baba Nagar then all the youngsters would unite to negotiate that outsider or those outsiders. As far as sports is concerned, I regret for never having attempted to play Lawn Tennis and learn swimming.
During my school days, most of the boys of Baba Nagar went to the nearby St Stanislaus school My brother and I were two of the few who went to St Theresa's High School. Both these schools were boys' schools. The girls of this colony would go to convent schools nearby which were meant for only fair sex. One thing I forgot to mention is Baba Nagar boasted of possessing beautiful girls. Some were real class beauties. The colony had handsome boys too. Another thing about this colony that needs mention is all the youngsters of my time would communicate with each other in English language. So the colony even boasted of possessing many scholars in English language.
If you go to Baba Nagar today you'll find that most of the youths of my time have left the place and have gone to stay at places which has much more space. But I'm sure that none of them must have yet forgotten their young days which they spent in a very colourful colony called Baba Nagar. Today Baba Nagar no more possesses the charm and colour that it possessed during my young days. That's sad! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment