Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dinesh Kamath says a journalist is more superior than custom officer





The first photograph is that of Dinesh Kamath when he was a custom officer. The photograph below it is of Dinesh Kamath as a journalist.
Before I became a journalist I was a custom officer. I was working for Indian Customs. There are people who consider custom officers as kind of policemen. I agree that they are a kind of policemen but they are privileged policemen. They don't have to deal with things like murders, suicides, assaults, petty thefts etc. the way Khaki-clad policemen do. A custom officer is like a peacock. He is clad in white uniform and he just has to deal with smuggling of contraband goods like jewelleries, electronic goods, sandalwoods and other precious items. Another duty of custom officer is to collect the Revenue. Now you must have come to know why I call Custom Officer a privileged policeman. So I enjoyed the privilege of working as a custom officer once upon a time. Today I'm playing the role of a journalist, and to be frank, I enjoy being a journalist more than a custom officer. I believe that a journalist is more superior than a custom officer. A custom officer does not enjoy the kind of fame a journalist enjoys. A journalist can become a celebrity, the privilege which custom officer can never enjoy. After I had finished my college many people were telling me to become a custom officer like my father. But my personal wish was to become a journalist. I found the career of a journalist more attractive than that of a custom officer. Since I've played the roles of both custom officer and Journalist I can tell you with guarantee that life of a journalist is more enjoyable than life of a custom officer. Since I've played both the roles I know best. Bye!

1 comment: